01 09 10

Friday, August 5, 2011

I LOVE the Friday Five

It's Friday... thank goodness! Here are your Friday Five:

1. Bachelorette Weekends. This weekend I am able to celebrate two of my closest friends, Amanda & Kellie, at their joint bachelorette party. We're having "one last fling before the ring" and I am so excited to spend the weekend with some of my dearest friends. Amanda is getting married at the beginning of October and Kellie is getting married the last weekend in September. I LOVE you both!

Amanda & Nick                                                        Kellie & Jason
  



2. Whole-Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies. I made these last night and they are so yummy! I got the recipe from http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/ so if you use all natural ingredients you can feel better about eating them. Yes, they still have calories but at least the ingredients are better for you!

Ingredients

  • 2/3 cup whole-wheat flour, pastry or white winter wheat recommended
  • 1/2 cup white flour (or can use all whole-wheat instead) *I used all whole-wheat flour*
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 stick butter (8 tablespoons), slightly colder than room temperature
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup white sugar *I used Raw Sugar*
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 3/4 cup chocolate chips *I used Semi-Sweet*

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. In a small bowl, mix together the dry ingredients with a hand-held whisk including the flour, baking soda, and salt.
  3. In a large, separate bowl use an electric mixer to cream the butter. The butter is the KEY ingredient in this recipe and for best results it must be “slightly” colder than room temperature. I usually take my stick of butter out of the fridge and let it sit on the counter for a half hour or so before making the cookies. If your butter gets too soft/warm you can alternatively chill the cookie batter after mixing everything together.
  4. Add the egg, both sugars, and vanilla to butter until well mixed. Scrape sides of bowl as necessary.
  5. With the electric mixer on low, add the flour mixture (in batches) to the butter mixture.
  6. With a large spatula stir in the chocolate chips. If you have time, and for the very best results, it is recommended that you chill the batter for 10 – 15 minutes before putting the cookies in the oven (even if your butter was the perfect temperature!).
  7. Put spoonfuls of batter on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 7 – 9 minutes. Transfer cookies to a cooling rack. Enjoy!
Yield: 16 – 20 cookies (just enough to not “over-indulge!”)



3. Tax Free Weekend. I am sure you are aware that this weekend is tax-free weekend in NC & SC. I have a lot of friends who are teachers so take this as a reminder - buy your school supplies this weekend!! I'll take advantage of clothes and shoes being tax-free. Who doesn't LOVE not paying taxes?




4. Grip & Tip. Maybe I would start painting my own nails if I had this....hummm, maybe.
Grip & Tip™



5. My parents are new homeowners! As most of you know, my parents lived in the Ukraine and have recently moved back to the States. They have been back for about 4 months and just closed on a new home. God truly blessed them by giving them this particular home. It has everything they were searching for and more. Thank you Jesus! Congrats Mom & Dad! Isn't it beautiful?!?
 


What have you fallen in LOVE with today? Have a great weekend!
LOVE, sje

1 comment:

  1. Love the Five again this week! I know you girls will have a great time this weekend - bet there will be some singing goin' on! Give Amanda and Kellie my love - I am so happy for them! Love you ... Mom!

    ReplyDelete

Did you fall in love with this too? Let me know!