01 09 10

Friday, March 23, 2012

Celebrating Joshua

This weekend is going to be a tough one. We will be celebrating Joshua and his life here on earth. Please pray for his family, Liz, and Liz's family this weekend. I pray that she knows how much she is LOVED and can see how much she is supported. She is not alone and I hope that is clear to her.

I'm not going to write my typical Friday Five but I am going to write about a few things I have thought about, discussed, and learned since Sunday. This post may turn in to a therapy session for myself and a time for me to write my random thoughts down but I ask that you bear with me. It may be wordy. Who knows, maybe God is prompting me to write things down so that it may help you in some way? I trust Him.


"Faith is deliberate confidence in the character of God whose ways you may not understand at the time." -Oswald Chambers

Psalm 34:18 "The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit."

Joshua 1:9  "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."

Psalm 116:15 “Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his faithful servants.”

Travis Cottrell's song, "In Christ Alone // Solid Rock"

Joshua always put Christ first and family second. As his friends, he always made us feel like family. He would do anything for anyone. He LOVED to laugh and his smile could brighten up an entire room. He was a dreamer and knew that dreaming big and fulfilling that dream was completely possible. He reminded us that it is important to do what you LOVE because your attitude towards everyone around you will be at its highest.

Life is short and can be taken from us at any time. Cherish each day and don't "put off until tomorrow what you can do today." When you think about eternity you begin to understand how short our life on earth is...even if we live 100 years. Thank you Jesus for paying the ultimate price - dying on the cross and rising again - so that my sins are forgiven. I know that my eternity will be spent in Heaven, walking side by side with Jesus, and I am so grateful for that. I pray that you all will spend your eternity in Heaven as well.

I've started to really think about what Heaven is going to be like. I know it will be better than anything I can fathom. I've read scripture about Heaven and have some idea what it will be like but it is something I really want to dig into. Don't misunderstand me, I believe in Heaven and Hell 100% so it isn't something I need to convince myself of...it is simply a desire to learn more. Our pastor, Greg Surratt spoke to the Seacoast staff on Tuesday (view his message here) and recommended the book, Heaven by Randy Alcorn. I downloaded it on our kindle and can't wait to learn more about what scripture teaches us about Heaven.

I heard "I can only imagine" by Mercy Me this morning and connected with the words more than I ever have. It's true..."I can only imagine, what it will be like, when I walk by your side. I can only imagine, what my eyes will see, when your face is before me."



The chorus to Jimmy Needham's song, "If I ever needed Grace" has helped me know that in all situations, we need God's grace.

If I ever needed grace, it's now
You are strong when I am weak, somehow
I am weak enough to see
I need You to cover me
If I ever needed grace, it's now

In every joy and pain
Whatever comes my way
God I need Your grace

The importance of family and friendship. This is one thing I know I take for granted that should never be taken for granted. Treat everyone like it will be the last moment you spend with them - because it may be. Share every part of your life with your family and close friends. They are there to LOVE you, support you, give you advice and encouragement. They are there to laugh with you, cry with you, rejoice with you and mourn with you. God placed us in our family on purpose. God has placed our friends in our lives on purpose. We may never know why but there is a reason. My family and friends mean the world to me. I should not allow weeks to go by without a simple phone call to hear their voice and to tell them I am interested in what's happening in their lives.

Joshua and Liz were our first close friends here in Charleston. We built a relationship that, looking back on, was built for a purpose. Joshua taught us to LOVE everything about life. He taught us the importance of an accountability partner. He showed us the importance of close friends within your church family. He was a light to this world during his time on earth and is still a light after God took him home. We should all strive to brighten the world, even with a simple smile.

Joshua's visitation is tonight from 5pm-7pm. His funeral is tomorrow at 2pm. During this time, I would greatly appreciate your prayers, especially, for Joshua's family, Liz, and Liz's family. It is going to be difficult to say "see you later" to our friend but I can not imagine what it would be like to say "see you later" to a husband, son, brother, or son-in-law.

In true Joshua fashion, the family has asked that we not wear black to either the visitation or funeral. Instead, they have asked us to wear anything Chicago Bears (his favorite team), Abercrombie (he was a manager for many years and still wore Abercrombie all the time), or anything beachy (he LOVED Tommy Bahama, linen, bright colors, and of course, the beach). We will be celebrating Joshua's life in the way that he would want us to.

If you live in Charleston and haven't been to How Art Thou? cafe (that he created and opened along with his cousin & father-in-law), I highly recommend it. You will be able to see who Joshua was all over the Cafe. When you do go there, say a prayer for the Cafe and his family. Thank you.

Joshua LOVED to eat at our local mexican restaurant. The server's knew his family by name and recognized their two adorable children. They were always greeted with a loud "Hola!" and a huge smile. Go eat at your favorite mexican restaurant tonight with your closest friends in honor of Joshua and while you're there, say a prayer for his family. Also, cherish that time with your friends. Treat it like it will be your last dinner with them. Enjoy every moment.

If you would like to donate to Liz, there is a link to do so here. Thank you in advance for your generosity.

LOVE, sje

2 comments:

  1. My sweet caring daughter-in-law...your words reflect a light that was shining out through Josh and Liz's life...through the love of our Lord Jesus Christ.
    I'm thankful for the HOPE, praying for the needs, and assured of God's promise through His Son.
    Praying for everyone....without ceasing.
    Love & Prayers
    YMIL xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praising the Lord with you for His love, grace and mercy that Josh radiated. I still see Josh's amazing smile - and I know he's wearing a heavenly smile today. Liz and their families are on my heart and in my constant prayers.

    Truly .... precious in the sight of the Lord was the life and the death of His dearly loved servant, Joshua Miller!

    Love you my Sarah!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Did you fall in love with this too? Let me know!