01 09 10

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

I would LOVE to never be afraid


Joshua 1:9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.”


Joshua 1:9 is a very meaningful verse for multiple reasons. It is not only a verse that reminds me of a dear friend but it has become a verse that I need to keep reminding myself of lately. Why?
Because I am a huge wuss. 

My parents are probably reading this thinking..."what in the world is she talking about"?
My dad has always said I was a daredevil who would try anything. My mom has always pointed out that I am very cautious, although, not scared.

Well folks...times have changed. As I have gotten older I have become a major scaredy-cat. I'm not sure if it is because I am more aware of the world that I live in or if events that have happened have caused my fear to grow. I have no idea what the reason is. 

My latest fear: movie theaters (for obvious reasons). Monday night, Michael and I went to see The Dark Knight Rises. I was hesitant to go but I knew Michael really wanted to see it and I knew that more than likely nothing was going to happen. We got to the theater, bought our tickets and sat down. Everything was a-okay. Then my mind started playing tricks on me and a rush of fear came over my entire body. I have never had a panic attack before but I honestly believe I had a minor one throughout the entire 2hrs and 45min that the movie was on. My heart was racing and I became extremely hot. My entire body shook throughout the entire movie. Michael told me I was breathing really hard and at times gasping. There were multiple moments I thought I was going to burst out into tears. Two different times during the movie I felt like I was going to throw up but there was no way I was leaving Michael in there by himself. There was a young boy in there by himself, constantly moving and looking at his phone. My mind was made up that he was up to no good so my eyes were locked on him throughout the movie. My stomach was in knots and I felt like the movie was never going to end. Once the movie was over, we got in the car (which most of you know is also a fear of mine) and drove home. I don't think I have ever been more excited to lock us inside our condo.
RIDICULOUS, right? 

I think back over that night and feel so dumb. Why didn't I put my full trust in the Lord? I was praying constantly throughout the movie but clearly I wasn't fully trusting him. God tells us, "Do not be afraid" but why is that so hard to do? Do any of you struggle with fear (even of stupid things) like I do? We should not let fear control our life - let's only look to God for control over our lives. 

Proverbs 3:25-26 Do not be afraid of sudden fear nor of the onslaught of the wicked when it comes; for the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your feet from being caught. 

Psalm 56:3-4 When I am afraid, I will put my trust in You. In God, whose word I praise, In God I have put my trust; I shall not be afraid. What can mere man do to me? 

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

"Be strong in the Lord and never give up hope, You're going to do great things, I already know, God's got His hand on you so don't live life in fear, forgive and forget but don't forget why you're here, Take your time and pray, Thank God for each day" -Sidewalk Prophets


Since my church takes place in a movie theater - let's hope I get over this fear SOON!

LOVE, sje



                      

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the beautiful reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am new to your blog, and just wanted to say that I agree that something changes as we get older and we become more aware of our world and the dangers....what a great reminder today that I am not the only one who struggles in this area. Thank you for these Scriptures today. I find it very helpful to read the following article over and over.....you might like it too. http://www.girltalkhome.com/pdf/Fighting_Fear2.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brittany S. - Welcome to my blog! I hope you enjoy what you read and continue to come back.

    Thank you for your encouragement. The article was helpful to read and I foresee it being something I read multiple times. It is nice to know I am not the only one who struggles with fear!

    ReplyDelete

Did you fall in love with this too? Let me know!