01 09 10

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Pickled Okra

Summer is the best season for canning and preserving your favorite foods. Head on out to your local farmer's market or to your own garden for the best selection of vegetables. Michael and I decided to start a small garden of our own this year and I have loved everything about it. Our banana peppers have flourished and I have tried a few different pickling recipes that all are delicious. That's for another post, another day!

With my banana pepper pickling success, I wanted to try pickling other veggies. That's where the okra comes in. Michael and I really love going downtown to the farmer's market. There are so many great things to do and see but my favorite thing to do is pick out vegetables from our local farmers. Along with other things, I bought 3 pounds of okra. 11/2 lbs for pickling and 11/2 for frying. I asked my sister-in-law for her pickled okra recipe and began. It is so delicious that I knew I had to share with y'all.

Don't be afraid of canning. Search how-to videos on YouTube and you'll soon realize that it is a lot easier than you think. Feel free to ask me questions, as well. I am still a beginner so if I don't know an answer, I'll find someone who does and we can learn together.









Pickled Okra
*I cut this recipe in half to make 1 quart*

Ingredients:
31/2 pounds small okra pods
1 pint distilled vinegar, white
1 quart water
1/3 cup salt
3 small hot peppers, if desired
Garlic bud
2 teaspoons dill seed

Directions:
Pack okra firmly in hot sterilized Ball jars. Put a garlic bud in each jar. Pour boiling brine in jars and seal. Process in a boiling water bath at simmering temperature, about 180-200 degress F, for 10 minutes. Let ripen several weeks before opening.
Yield 4-5 pints

These will make the perfect appetizer for any dinner party! Enjoy!

Love, sje

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you fall in love with this too? Let me know!