01 09 10

Saturday, September 13, 2014

DIY: Replacing the skirt of a dress

If you like my Facebook page you saw where I was working on 3 sewing projects over the past couple of weeks. If you're counting, I've only posted 2 of those projects. The 3rd one was a little more detailed and intimidating for me to start. I took it step-by-step and allowed myself to work on it over the course of a few days and I finally completed it. One of my favorite summer dresses had a hole on the backside of the skirt. I didn't want to throw the entire dress away so I decided to replace the skirt myself. I think it turned out well!


Here's the dress:

Here's the hole:

I cut off the skirt of the dress to make my pattern. I placed the front and back of the skirt onto my new fabric (I chose a jersey knit) and cut the new fabric about an inch wider than the old fabric since I needed to sew those pieces together.

I pinned the front to the back, along the sides of the skirt, wrong side facing out.

 

Then sewed a straight line along both sides of the skirt.

I pinned the skirt to the top of the dress.

I held it up to make sure the skirt fell like I wanted it to.


Then sewed it together.

I cut the lace bottom off of the dress and pinned it to the bottom of the new skirt then sewed it on.


Wha-la! My new dress:

I paired it with a chunky black necklace, bright pink lipstick and a fishtail braid for the perfect vintage look.

What do you think? Do you have any dresses that you want to revamp? Let me know!
Love, sje

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you fall in love with this too? Let me know!