01 09 10

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Homemade Deodorant

If you don't know already, I'll let you know that the aluminum in store bought deodorant is terrible for our bodies. Aluminum should not be in deodorant, although, if you look at the ingredients on many different brands, it is in there. I used to be that person that ignored the health risks of it because I didn't think homemade deodorant would work. "They" say it causes Alzheimer's and cancer (what doesn't?). My friend, Allison, told me that she finally found a recipe that worked on MindBodyGreen's website. I'm not ashamed to say that I smelled her underarms after a long day and she didn't have ANY odor. I was shocked and immediately asked her for the recipe. I've been using it for months now and I love it and think you will too. It is super easy and quick (about 5 minutes) to make so we have no excuses! 


Ingredients: 
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup baking soda (some people are sensitive to baking soda, if that is you, only use 1 tbsp to make sure it still gets rid of the odor)
1/8 cup cornstarch
1/8 cup arrowroot powder (Allison gave me some of hers which is why it is in a plastic bag. You can buy this at any health food store.)
Essential oils of choice (optional...I didn't add any.)



Directions:

Combine coconut oil, baking soda, cornstarch, and arrowroot in a mixing bowl. (It will be white...I don't know why the oil looks yellow here)

When well combined, add in a drop or two of your favorite essential oil if you decided to use some.

Pour into an old deodorant container or a small mason jar.

Put in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes. After it sets, you can leave it in your bathroom.

If you put it in a small mason jar, scoop a little out with your fingers and rub on. If you put it in an old deodorant container, put it on as you would any other deodorant. It will go on a little slimy so I always make sure to put it on before I start getting ready. That way, it has time to dry before you put on your clothes. It will also create little deodorant balls under your arms as it is drying so just keep rubbing those in as you are getting ready. 

This deodorant keeps the odor away even when you sweat, although, it doesn't help the perspiration much. I wore it all day, went to the gym, then went to a Mexican restaurant with some of my friends and didn't smell at all even though I was very sweaty.
Summer in Charleston will make anyone sweat more than usual and the store bought deodorant didn't help my perspiration either. 

The amount of money you save on this deodorant is crazy. You'll spend about $10 (equivalent to 2 store bought deodorants) on all of the products and you'll easily be able to make at least 8 deodorant containers with the size of products shown above. 


Have you ever made your own deodorant? Do you have a recipe that works? If not, try this one and let me know what you think!
Love, sje

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you fall in love with this too? Let me know!